Houston Mayor’s Annual Back-To-School Fest
Start off the new school year right with the Mayor’s Annual Back-To-School Fest on August 11, 2018. This event helps elementary aged children prepare to return to school.
In order to attend this event children must be registered in advance. Parents can register their students that are going into kindergarten through 5th grade by going to www.houstontx.gov/btsf or they can call 311 Monday – Friday. Registration will be open until July 20 or earlier if capacity is reached so register today! All children registered for the event will receive a backpack and school supplies.
There are many educational exhibits for children and their families in addition to many free services at the event. Some of the highlights include:
- Blood pressure and BMI screenings for adults, courtesy of the University of Houston’s American Pharmacist Association
- Vision Screenings will be offered by the University of Houston’s College of Optometry, the City of Houston’s Health and Human Services Department, Eye Care for Kids, and Prevent Blindness Texas
- Haircut vouchers furnished by the Texas Barber Colleges
- Onsite immunizations by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Care Van
- Demonstrations on oral health
- WIC enrollment
- Box lunches furnished by the City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department
- Undergarments donated by Undies for Everyone
Parking will be free for the event, courtesy of Minute Maid Park. Free parking in Lots B and C that are located on Preston Street and St. Emanuel Street. Please note parking is only available during the event. METRO will be offering free rides for students and families. Please pre-register for more information.
Register your student today by going to www.houstontx.gov/btsf or they can call 311 Monday – Friday.