Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars
- For the Bars:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Frosting:
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles, m&m’s and white chocolate chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13” baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Press the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes–DON’T over-bake! You’ll be tempted, but the bars should just be barely set in the center and the edges wont be browned at all. Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- Add the butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add remaining powdered sugar and vanilla. Add as much milk as needed to reach a good soft frosting consistency. Smooth frosting over the bars and sprinkle with toppings.
Makes 15 bars
recipe from: http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/